Visit Dobro Lessons Online with Andy Hall
Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

All Forums
 Reso-Related Topics
 Product Reviews and Shopping Advice
 Republic guitars = part from China ?

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print

Previous PageNext Page

Page: of 5

Niujiebull

7 posts since 5/23/12

05/23/2012 22:53:43 Reply with Quote

Hi guys,

In response to square neck, well, the fact that I bought a republic had nothing to do with where I live. I am an expat and I live out here because of my work. It simply had to do with cost and risk according to my circumstances.....

Concerning your other point, then maybe you're right, although you're probably overestimating the ambition of the Chinese manufacturers in this case. They know that it's not worth competing with the history and craftsmanship of top Western brands, and I doubt they're interested. The small factories like the one which makes Republic just want to make a fast buck, (although Chinese businessmen are probably thinking that if they wait long enough they'll simply be able to buy up the big name Western brands, just like they have done with a lot of my country's brands, although we don't have that much left to pick off frankly).

The Japanese, however, have had a go at competing in the high end of the market, 30 or 40 years after they started doing what the Chinese have only just woken up to - imitating top foreign designs using quality components. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me that with a few notable exceptions, the Japanese haven't really succeeded in dominating this high end: legendary American brands like Fender and Gibson have not disappeared; they've adapted, yes, and learnt to work with the Asians, yes, but they haven't disappeared.

By the way, I guess I should reveal that I'm English. That's why there is a picture of Davey Graham below my moniker. Hope I don't come in for too much flack though. I'm proud of my nationality but I'm also proud of being a free thinker, and that's just the way it is with me. Takes all sorts.

Go to Top of Page

ShiftyPlayers Union Member

United States
886 posts since 1/15/09

05/24/2012 05:33:10 Reply with Quote

Found Davey Graham on Youtube, "Cry Me A River",  An old favorite, well done.  Flack does not matter!

Sounds like you are pretty good at doing your own thing, screen name right on!

Edited by - Shifty on 05/24/2012 05:36:10

Go to Top of Page

Niujiebull

7 posts since 5/23/12

05/24/2012 08:40:25 Reply with Quote

Cheers :)

Go to Top of Page

Grizz

United States
7633 posts since 12/22/09

05/24/2012 08:45:32View Grizz's MP3 Archive View Grizz's Photo Albums View Grizz's Blog Reply with Quote

I want to than you for your bringing us up to speed telling us a little about yourself.  I wondered about the avatar.big Now the bottom line for me is that every person in the free democratic world should support their country and its economy. I do not want to be an isolationist but, as i already stated the flood of cheap inferior products that have been putting my fellow Americans in the position where they can not compete is a very, very sore spot with me and as you can see others. I have to disagree somewhat with what the Japanese done. Originally when I was growing up their products were thought of as cheap junk and it was understood that they were Then they again, taking products that were already on the market, and started making them as good or better than their counterparts. Take Nikon or their automobile industry, excellent products. Locations in the US employing Americans. Not a problem for me. They buy our products we buy theirs. Even Nikon now has jobbed out products to Tiwan to compete. I have to put the blame where it belongs, on the US citizen. The generations of today are engrained to want instant gratification. So they want something and don't have the money to buy an American made product,  and are not willing to wait until they save up for it so ............. in steps the Asian manufacturers. Now you and I both know that in time they could make a product that is every bit as good as is made here, but what's in it financially for them? Nothing. Now they have competition.  Let us not be so arrogant to think that we are exclusive in our ability to make quality items, These products appeal, to the masses that want cheap at any price. Well they are getting it and I hope they remember it when they are without a job, on the doll and losing their home. Do these instruments have a niche? Like was said, as a "campfire guitar" yes. I would certainly have one for that purpose. I digress, I will not,  take my Harlow outside. I would buy used since it is already in the marketplace and feel in that,  at least in some small way, I am somewhat recycling the money in our economy. 

Go to Top of Page

Niujiebull

7 posts since 5/23/12

05/24/2012 19:34:38 Reply with Quote

Hey Grizz, I hear what you're saying totally. I have to say that having joined this site, and thread, just to share some of my experience regarding ordering from China, I've come away with a more thoughtful perspective on the whole idea of cheap Asian guitars. Like you, I see that there is a niche for these products, but now I've looked at my own buying history, and my love of the blues and American guitar brands in general, and if I ever buy another guitar, I think I'm going to go treat myself to the real deal. After 25 years of playing and striving to fulfill my potential as a musician I think I owe it to myself! Better get practicing mind, and maybe get a few gigs, otherwise I won't be able to justify the price tag to my wife :)

Go to Top of Page

Square Neck

963 posts since 8/5/08

05/24/2012 19:42:02 View Square Neck's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

If I were from the land down under, I would for sure have one or more of this guys work...

http://www.donmo.com/Guitarsite/Guitars.html 

Go to Top of Page

Grizz

United States

05/24/2012 19:53:18View Grizz's MP3 Archive View Grizz's Photo Albums View Grizz's Blog Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Niujiebull

Hey Grizz, I hear what you're saying totally. I have to say that having joined this site, and thread, just to share some of my experience regarding ordering from China, I've come away with a more thoughtful perspective on the whole idea of cheap Asian guitars. Like you, I see that there is a niche for these products, but now I've looked at my own buying history, and my love of the blues and American guitar brands in general, and if I ever buy another guitar, I think I'm going to go treat myself to the real deal. After 25 years of playing and striving to fulfill my potential as a musician I think I owe it to myself! Better get practicing mind, and maybe get a few gigs, otherwise I won't be able to justify the price tag to my wife :)

I couldn't agree more. I have a Harlow that I will never live up to playing at it's potential, but it makes me want to be better and also play more. Every instrument I have now makes me feel like that and I can't even describe the joy I get from them. How I convinced Mama Bear was got her interested. It works!!!! You're gonna' laugh but sometimes I think she is worse than me. I did the same with fishing and hunting. Wow!!!!  Well I let the cat out of the bag now. big Anyway, I would like to offer my mea culpa for your rough start. As you see and all know I can be a bit of a bear. (pun intended) So with that let me offer my hand in friendship.

Edited by - Grizz on 05/24/2012 19:55:03

Go to Top of Page

Grizz

United States

05/24/2012 20:20:36View Grizz's MP3 Archive View Grizz's Photo Albums View Grizz's Blog Reply with Quote

quote: Originally posted by Square Neck

If I were from the land down under, I would for sure have one or more of this guys work...

http://www.donmo.com/Guitarsite/Guitars.html

Hell I would like to have one even living here !!!!!!!!!!! approve  Kool stuff. Here is another one in the cross hairs for my next life. http://www.terraplaneguitars.com/ See it in action below. I want the .44 special yes I have decided to come back rich. So fella's so watch out, too damn mean and ugly to leave forever.evil The music playing is Arlen Roth doing the Bob Dylan song and one of my favorite songs of all time "Knockin' on Heavens Door" IMO Arlen is one of the most under rated guitarists on the planet. I have corresponded with Arlen and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Real salt of the earth.No ego there.

This as stated on YouTube is "Priceless footage of a Danny Gatton tribute concert. Arlen Roth and his late daughter, Gillian, performing Suzie Q mixed with Day Tripper. Gillie had just turned 12. Arlen lost Gillian and her mother in a car accident in 1998, when Gillian was just 14."  This one the embedding was disabled on YouTube  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGXrDFyRlfE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL8E0EF4F7AE2E01BC  Enjoy. 

Edited by - Grizz on 05/24/2012 20:26:56

Go to Top of Page

bethischeery

3 posts since 3/17/12

07/16/2012 09:32:50 Reply with Quote

Wow... you guys are as much willing to diss me as I was to diss Frank... but I didn't make you pay $400 for something you didn't even want. Of course I got on here to gripe about Frank and the fact he sent me the wrong guitar. Isn't that partly what forums are for? I felt that it was right that I should make it known that his testimonial from a person in China was erroneous... that testimonial about not having to pay taxes. I thought it was helpful to outline for other people who might be interested in buying overseas... just how complicated the tax paying process can be at customs. Some of you have said that I should have researched all of that... well, if people like myself don't go online to describe these things just how exactly is anyone supposed to find helpful insider information to research? It's easy for Frank on his website, the selling end, to make the process sound so easy and smooth, but there needs to be a way (like a forum such as this one) where the buyer on their end can describe in reality what is involved. Is that not a helpful contribution to a community? Anyway, I still have the guitar since I was so disgusted at the thought of having to pay out another $125 of my own money and spend an afternoon or longer at the post office, filling out forms in a language not my own etc in order to return the darned thing, I decided to keep it and see if I couldn't learn slide blues on it anyway. Turns out it's fine for someone like me, a beginner, to learn on. Frank sent me a dvd with lessons on it... one of the only parts of the deal he did live up to.

Go to Top of Page

bethischeery

3 posts since 3/17/12

07/16/2012 09:54:40 Reply with Quote

You guys got really political here... wow... what I'd like to ask is what were the original original original slide guitars made out of and how come it seems like AT THAT TIME, it was a poor man's instrument? When I listen to some of the original old tunes the sound of the guitar itself is so raw... I really don't believe that the guitars those original players used to play were fine tuned emphasis on quality products etc etc etc... in such a case do you realy think that USA made guitars, for $2000 or more are being true to the ESSENCE of blues guitar? Of course, I'm just a beginner and definitely not completely up on all of the history... but don't you think it's a bit like someone charging $200 for an "authentic" reproduction hacky sac, 100 years from now? made with 100% USA spun cotton and 100% USA beans... come on I mean really. You could use anything for a hacky sac.

REAL blues is about rawness not about the quality of the wood or whether a neck is bent... you think those poor guys had pristine guitars??? If you could go back in time and tell one of them you're willing to spend $2000+ on a slide guitar they'd probably drop their own out of pure disbelief. They'd look at the guitar they knocked together themself and laughingly say... people will pay $2000 for one of these in the future???? By golly! how much will milk be????

Edited by - bethischeery on 07/16/2012 09:56:15

Go to Top of Page

Grizz

United States

07/16/2012 10:32:52View Grizz's MP3 Archive View Grizz's Photo Albums View Grizz's Blog Reply with Quote

Understand that we are only hearing your side of the story and Frank isn't here to defend himself. Are we to take just your word for it. We here have all seen this before. People come here to criticize someone and nothing else, There is a lot of information on this site about the history of the Dobro just do some searching. Come in from left field, you think prices haven't risen since the inception of the Dobro in the late 20's? If you can't find what you want to know in the archives here try Wikipedia, World Book, Britanica or just Google it. Maybe find out what the Dobros did sell for and use an inflation calculator http://www.westegg.com/inflation/ it will tell you what it would sell for today. Also like anything else that is vintage you will have to pay the piper if you want it. Most of us here are Americans trying our best to support America not a communist country and its leaders, that have sweat shops, child labor and inferior product. Look what they done to children's toy's, pet food and a host of other things. Your damn right it's political when I see neighbors and friends in the financial straights they are in. We ourselves have been affected by the flood of chinese imports.

Go to Top of Page

deuce

England
894 posts since 9/11/11

07/17/2012 11:58:53 View deuce's Photo Albums Send deuce an AOL message Reply with Quote

Anyway....

Anyone making metal body dobros (e.g. terraplanes) is doing a great thing (good call Grizz). However, I won't pay that much unless Elvis personally gift wraps it. Why is no-one making cheap metal dobros - they could sound great.   

Edited by - deuce on 07/17/2012 12:13:10

Go to Top of Page

Brad Bechtel

United States
945 posts since 8/4/08

07/17/2012 12:33:16View Brad Bechtel's MP3 Archive View Brad Bechtel's Photo Albums View Brad Bechtel's Blog Reply with Quote

There are many cheap metal body resonator guitars.   The Gretsch Honey Dipper is one example.  The Rogue Classic Brass Body Resonator is about as cheap as I've seen them go at $350 USD.  They cost more than wood body guitars because metal costs more than wood and is harder to turn into a guitar.

Go to Top of Page

deuce

England
894 posts since 9/11/11

07/18/2012 05:07:28 View deuce's Photo Albums Send deuce an AOL message Reply with Quote

Hi Brad

I'm referring to metal body dobros, not resos in general. I fitted a wood riser in the well of my OMI (designed for a 10.5 biscuit) and fitted a cheapo dobro cone (and expensive offset spider!), and it works excellently well. 

I think its been hinted at before, but I plan to try fitting a mandolin cone to a standard metal body reso. If it works, and if I could get my act together, I might even try and get hold of some republic type bodies and necks and fit the hardware myself - new career maybe!

TT

Go to Top of Page

Guitarelic

Canada
42 posts since 1/9/13

01/09/2013 11:16:00 Reply with Quote

Yeah....'Don't worry;Be happy' Is that the prevailing mindset here? Makes a guy wonder....'cuz I TOO have had a VERY NEGATIVE experience with this CHINESE JUNK! Republic brass plated body,single cone&biscuit, 14 fret slot-head. This boat-anchor at first sight and first try SEEMED to be a reasonable deal for a starter guitar. F.Y.I.: I've been playing flat-tops (the Big Three) since '68 but never paid much attention to Reso's . Yeah...so$800 CAD later, It becomes apparent that the neck will move s2s slightly and being the kind who will not leave well enuf alone I pulled the flying saucer off and that's when the dogs breakfast inside became unavoidably apparent. But HEY! Outa' sight, outa' mind and what stupid 'lound-eye is going to bother to inspect the inner construction? SO, being 'Properly Informed' wouldn't have made any diff without x-ray vision. As time goes by it becomes all too plain that 'That's just the way they do things OVER THERE!' F.Y.I.#2: I never touched a 'computer/info' device before '011 and so avoided E-tardation for most of my 63 yrs. so I could care less whether you-all take me seriously or not. But I say 'Caveat Emptor' to ANYONE thinking of buying any E.Asian made instrument and if you must, then makeD.G.&S. that the vendor will do the right thing without going to court!

Go to Top of Page

deuce

England
894 posts since 9/11/11

01/09/2013 13:35:43 View deuce's Photo Albums Send deuce an AOL message Reply with Quote

I've never bought a new guitar!! It would be great all round if I could afford decent guitars properly made in UK, but I can't, so I either get second hand or faulty guitars / parts from USA or asia and make do. Is that wrong?

@guitarelic: This is a fact - some asian guitars are built very well, and are good value. Sometimes a guitar is poor because the importer doesn't care about QC, or because they are sold without being set up at point of sale. I'm not taking you that seriously, but you "could care less", so no worries there, eh?

TT

Go to Top of Page

otbresoPlayers Union Member

United States
1299 posts since 4/27/09

01/09/2013 15:24:22View otbreso's MP3 Archive View otbreso's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

The Republic sq neck I had was a really nice guitar, had great sound and was pretty well built. I never liked the tuners and would have replaced them had I kept the instrument. I did replace the bridge but other than that it was fine. Couldn't afford anything else at the time, or now for that matter and would have bought a Amistar if I had the dough. Sorry you had a bad experience but mine was great.

Go to Top of Page

otbresoPlayers Union Member

United States
1299 posts since 4/27/09

01/09/2013 15:25:19View otbreso's MP3 Archive View otbreso's Photo Albums Reply with Quote

%&"?%#@@&%

double post

Edited by - otbreso on 01/09/2013 15:26:16

Go to Top of Page

tooltimegrunt

United States
25 posts since 3/12/11

01/12/2013 15:51:45 Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rev-al

Hello I'm new here ,and to this Site and Resonator guitars.

This is my first post.

I'm getting my first, and eagerly awaited Reso, a Republic RS-1, on Friday - two days away.

BUT !! I've just read on this site a post from a guy in Korea, who was saying he "knew Republic got their parts in China"

Is this TRUE ?

I thought I was buying a genuine American hand made instrument. !!

Can anyone help me here with the truth ? and Have I bought wisely ?

Many thanks

Al

Thanks for caring about American jobs. Unfortunately many instruments are made in China. If you cant afford an new american made reso, try the classifieds for a used one.

Go to Top of Page

reso-dude

15 posts since 1/13/13

01/13/2013 11:48:42 Reply with Quote

I'm a die hard National Res guy so with that said, I also own a Republic as a knock around res. I got it cheap so I took a chance on it. Right off that batt I had to replace the tuners because the originals were complete junk. The other thing I just did was replaced the cone with a National Hot rod cone, and also the biscuit. Now it's a fairly decent guitar but I had to throw an additional 150.00 bucks and some luthier skill to make it so... and that is a sunk cost in a knock off instrument cause you'll never recoup the cost. You get what you pay for... but it serves its purpose.

Go to Top of Page

lefty52

United States
1 posts since 3/28/13

03/28/2013 10:58:01 Reply with Quote

My first post here, I was looking for reviews on Republic guitars, as I just bought, but have not yet received, my style #840 single cone, round neck from Frank. I know the post is old, but thought I add a few thoughts.

It seems that we all pick and choose our battles, regarding 'Asian imports", what I find a bit funny is all this China bashing. Everyone who is doing so, is typing on computers with parts or complete computers made in China. There isn't one person here who has a made in America cell phone, TV or Mp3 player. During WW II Japan killed more Americans than those that died in Korea and Viet Nam, now they are one of our closest allies, maybe it's time to learn from history.......

If I had the money, I would have purchased a National, but for $499.00 I think I'm going to be happy with my Republic. I'm left handed and Frank is converting it for me, at no charge. I can upgrade the tuners, cone and have a professional set up done for about $250, so with the guitar, I'm still about $1600.00 less than a new Duolian. I don't make my living by playing music, I think the guys that do, should have a National or any other guitar they can afford. At 61 years old, I don't know if my ears can hear the difference anyway. Thank you to everyone who has posted their opinions about Republics, what I have learned is; if this guitar doesn't meet my needs or quality standards, Frank will take it back and refund my money, I'd say that's fair business.

Edited by - lefty52 on 03/28/2013 11:00:33

Go to Top of Page

tooltimegrunt

United States
25 posts since 3/12/11

03/28/2013 15:46:04 Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lefty52

It seems that we all pick and choose our battles, regarding 'Asian imports", what I find a bit funny is all this China bashing. Everyone who is doing so, is typing on computers with parts or complete computers made in China. There isn't one person here who has a made in America cell phone, TV or Mp3 player. During WW II Japan killed more Americans than those that died in Korea and Viet Nam, now they are one of our closest allies, maybe it's time to learn from history.......

No one bashed China, the comments made were simply pro-USA.  They don't make cell phones, computers etc in USA, if they did I would buy them. They do, however,  make Dobros in America, the best in the world, a simple fact that you apparently have missed.  Not only did you make a false accusation about posters bashing China, you proceed to attack Japan. 

Before you suggest to others that they need to learn history, I suggest that you take a course in reading comprehension.

Go to Top of Page

deedleer

1 posts since 4/18/13

04/18/2013 05:37:06 Reply with Quote

hello guys
I just registered so I can share my Republic story. Actually my friend/s. I bought a tricone from Frank in 2009. It was ordered from Chicago and brought to Croatia Zagreb by my lovely wife. I was and am still satisfied with the instrument regarding the price I payed and the fact that I got to compare it to some hi end Nationals and the difference in sound was not too noticeable. Build quality is another story. The trussrod does not work but luckily the neck is straight so no problems in that department so far. I string it with 12/54 strings and use various tunings. Its been through hell and back. Still stable. Althoug the neck material seems so soft its amazing it still straight.

The problem with Republic guitars arose when my friend decided to order a guitar from Frank here from Zagreb.
He ordered a 12fret Duolian. The guitar came with a lefty neck(he), uber high action, parts ratling inside, the center block was full of wormholes. There was a piece of centerblock just torn off and rattling around inside the body.The neck pocket cracking every time you picked up the guitar. The neck angle in relation to body was so shallow that the angle at the bridge was nonexistent. If you used fingerpicks it was impossible to play without getting stuck on the cone cover. Strings just kept popping out of the saddle.

We wrote an email and Frank decided to refund 1/3 of the payed amount. Which showed us that he basically decided to get rid of this specific faulty instrument. Croatia being where it is. Pretty far away from the States he knew in advance my friend would not go so far to ship the guitar back. I think it is pathetic and sad that Frank did this. My friend traded the Duolian for an electric guitar.

adam

Go to Top of Page

dhanners

Kuwait
7 posts since 7/1/13

07/02/2013 06:37:19 Reply with Quote

Hey, folks, I realize I'm late to this party (and to Resohangout) but I stumbled across this thread doing a Google search and thought I'd chip in. I own a Republic Model 805, a brass-body, 12-fret slot-head. Wonderful guitar for the money, and my dealings with Frank have left me satisfied.

In '09 I was looking for a 12-fret slot-head and when I started seeing the prices that were out there, I was kind of stunned. This wasn't going to be my main instrument (I'm a folkie prone to square- and round-shoulder dreads) but I thought it might be fun to have something to add to the arsenal. I couldn't justify some of the prices for something that I wasn't going to be playing full time or even half the time. Then somebody mentioned Republic Guitars, and I checked out their website.

Frank had an 805 that was listed on the website as a second, and the price was dirt-cheap. Cheaper than dirt, actually. I called up Frank and asked him what the issue was with the instrument and he said the truss rod was frozen. But he also said the action was good and that it played just fine. (The old Nationals didn't have an adjustable truss rod, either, and I figured a 12-fret neck probably wasn't going to move that much.) I concluded that for the price I probably couldn't do much better, so I ordered it. Shipping was prompt and trouble-free. The guitar was as advertised. Plays great. I've recorded it and I've actually wound up playing it more than I thought I would.

Yeah, the tuners were cheap but a set of $40 StewMac Golden Age Restoration tuners, a screwdriver and 15 minutes' work solved that issue. Over the years, I've had the biscuit and saddle worked on, but that's it. For the money, I consider it a fine guitar. The frozen truss rod hasn't been an issue yet.

I was fully aware it was built in China. Anyone who didn't take the time to call or email Frank and ask about the instruments' country of origin is just being lazy and is perhaps hoping to stay unenlightened about where products come from. But it is a global economy. And before anyone jumps on my case, over the past 15 years, I have been fortunate enough to commission local luthiers to build four instruments for me. Not just bought something they'd already built, but paid my hard-earned (union) paycheck to place an order and have them build something. And I wound up with three very nice guitars and a very nice F-style mandolin, and they were less expensive than one might think, all things considered.

Yes, I would love to buy American and I do whenever I can. But we also have to keep in mind that when I buy a Republic from Frank, it isn't done in a vacuum. There are also quite a few American jobs involved. There were the longshoremen who unloaded the guitar from the boat. There were the truckers who hauled the guitar from the port to Frank's business (and all the truck stops and cafes and other assorted businesses that trucker may have patronized along the way) and then there was Frank and his crew in Texas. And when I ordered the guitar, an American trucker (UPS, as I recall) delivered it to my door. Any work I've had done on it has been done by local repairmen. That Chinese guitar and its owner have contributed to the American economy and to my local economy.

I dare say that the average single Wal-Mart or Target does more to screw up the balance of trade in a single month than Frank has done over the lifetime of his business. And I don't know Frank personally and have never met the guy. I just know my dealings with him were above-board and I had no problems with him.

My only regret was that I didn't buy one of his wood-bodied resos when I had the chance. Now he doesn't offer them anymore. Maybe I'll break down and buy a Triolian....  

Go to Top of Page

deuce

England
894 posts since 9/11/11

07/02/2013 07:06:36 View deuce's Photo Albums Send deuce an AOL message Reply with Quote

"My only regret was that I didn't buy one of his wood-bodied resos when I had the chance. Now he doesn't offer them anymore. Maybe I'll break down and buy a Triolian.... ". Well maybe you'd be interested in a Michael Messer M28 wooden 'national' based on the 1928 wooden triolians - it would tick all of your boxes. TT

Go to Top of Page

Page: of 5
Previous PageNext Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Print

Jump To:

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

You are not logged in.

Not a member? Create an Account (FREE!)

142 RESONATOR GUITAR LOVERS ONLINE

HOME | FORUMS | MEMBERS | MEDIA ARCHIVE | TABS & LESSONS | CLASSIFIEDS | REVIEWS | LINKS | CALENDAR | STORE | TERMS OF USE