Using cold rolled steel and a full length carbon fiber rod reinforced neck, my new build utilizes a full body depth American Black Walnut block rim sound well with a 9" Beard cone and modified import spider bridge. I should have it together today.
Wow! If I had thought of that I might have kept my Tig welder! Why the 9" Mandolin cone, any goal in mind with that choice?
The regular mandolin spider is quite a bit lighter than the guitar spider, and the black import spider is noticeably lighter than a #14. So it will be interesting to see how the combination of the modified black spider and the mandolin cone work out.
so I am using lead free solder to put the body together in the same process of sanding , cleaning, fluxing and pre-tinning all the joining surfaces that I use with German Silver or brass bodies.
I used a 9" mandolin cone because it will fit in the parlor body. If I could find a 9.5" dobro cone I would use it but so far have only found 10.5" which will not fit. I made forms for the lathe for spinning my own cones but could not source the thin aluminum alloy that one can spin into cones.
My goal was a lighter, more portable, less precious dobro with great sustain. When you want to clean up this steel body a rotary sander with 120 grit does the job
I will fabricate a curved 1/8" German silver tailpiece tomorrow and see what it sounds like. The import spider bridge was out of wack and took quite a bit of work to get it to sit flat.
'Miking your reso' 2 days
'Spiderbridge height' 2 days
'Size cone' 2 days
'Searching for Bobby Poff' 3 days
'Thinning the herd' 4 days