Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

59
Resonator Guitar Lovers Online


Mar 1, 2021 - 8:05:30 PM
110 posts since 9/27/2018

What would you do for a Klondike bar? Would you pay $20,000? I've been wondering where things would go with resonators. We've seen some amazing builds and phenomenal luthiers. One of Tim's standard bodies, a Brazilian/spruce w/ gold hardware that happened to be 1 of 3 identical builds, selling for $12k where do we go from here? Have we hit the ceiling on these yet?

thenorthamericanguitar.com/pro...an-spruce

Mar 2, 2021 - 5:17:57 AM
likes this

RezBluez

Canada

194 posts since 1/24/2015

Well unless I won a lottery my cap would be about $3500 for a high end instrument. After that I don’t see how there’s that much difference in the sound, I care more about the sound than looks. Cheers!

Mar 2, 2021 - 5:52:09 AM
likes this

LukeL

USA

156 posts since 5/11/2018

I bought a Beard Josh Swift signature last year, and I’m paying about the same amount for a Byrl build with a Price case. I can’t imagine I’d find anything worth paying more than that for myself.

Mar 2, 2021 - 6:08:14 AM
likes this

badger

USA

490 posts since 8/10/2008

Rough rule of thumb - your instrument collection should be worth more than your vehicles. Same goes for your stereo gear. Big $$ means different things to different people. A $20k guitar would be a rounding error in some peoples' net worth. It'll probably end up in a cabinet in some rich person's house. It's going to be too pretty to play out - whoever ends up with it should probably grab one of the Brazilian 'horns to use as a beater for gigs and jams.

That said, take a look at all of the $20k + mandolins that are used consistently as gigging instruments, not to mention the occasional $200k + Loar-signed beauties that are out there.

The guy with the big payday with the sale of this one will be the shop that sells it. The builder? Not so much. There's a lot of expense in top-flight materials (go price a nice Brazilian set!), not to mention shop overhead and doubtless hundreds of hours of labor. Sure, it's a labor of love, but his financial compensation really doesn't respect his skill, artistry, or creativity.

Mar 2, 2021 - 6:14:40 AM
likes this

badger

USA

490 posts since 8/10/2008

If budget-conscious, check out his walnut, maple, or koa resos. $8900-9500.

Mar 2, 2021 - 6:49:08 AM
likes this

78 posts since 6/10/2011

Tee hee
Why not spread the cost?

Layaway

Mar 2, 2021 - 9:48:52 AM
likes this

395 posts since 1/14/2012

We have low ceilings at my house!

Mar 2, 2021 - 10:18:52 AM
likes this

badger

USA

490 posts since 8/10/2008

IIRC, my Harlow was a shade north of $4k, and I can't imagine spending more. Though there was an unbelievable first-batch JD Signature that Paul Beard brought to the Healdsburg Guitar Festival many years ago that damn near played itself. The guitar and I just bonded immediately. It was expensive, but I was working and had the $$. Played it for about an hour. Got home and told my wife all about it, including the cost. Her response? "It's your guitar. Go back tomorrow and buy the damn thing!" I didn't, and I've kicked myself ever since.

Mar 2, 2021 - 1:50:06 PM

110 posts since 9/27/2018

quote:
Originally posted by badger

If budget-conscious, check out his walnut, maple, or koa resos. $8900-9500.


I actually laughed out loud with that comment! I did check out his all maple and there was a link to a YouTube video for a demo of that guitar. It sounded pretty cool, but one frustrating thing was that I found no info on the reso components. I couldn't find out what kind of cone was in it and if it had a #14 spider, etc. 

 

I'll take one of those bargain basement Brazilian Scheerhorns for the purposes of being a beater guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBH79bytcNU&feature=emb_title

Edited by - Tom Servo on 03/02/2021 13:51:37

Mar 2, 2021 - 1:59:18 PM

110 posts since 9/27/2018

quote:
Originally posted by badger

IIRC, my Harlow was a shade north of $4k, and I can't imagine spending more. Though there was an unbelievable first-batch JD Signature that Paul Beard brought to the Healdsburg Guitar Festival many years ago that damn near played itself. The guitar and I just bonded immediately. It was expensive, but I was working and had the $$. Played it for about an hour. Got home and told my wife all about it, including the cost. Her response? "It's your guitar. Go back tomorrow and buy the damn thing!" I didn't, and I've kicked myself ever since.


Man this story took a turn I didn't expect at the end. There's something to be said that, I guess, is incalculable with regards to finding an instrument that speaks to you. Of course, as all have mentioned, it's all relevant to how deep your pockets are, how angry you want to make your spouse, etc. It's tough when you let one get by you that you could afford. It's easier when it's not even in your realm of reality...however the sound will still haunt your soul. For example, five years ago, my family went to a GnR concert in Nashville and while we were there, we stopped in Carter Vintage Instruments. That place is simply amazing and they are extremely friendly people there. I asked jokingly about a $65,000 Martin D-28 that was there and before I knew it, the salesman handed me the guitar and a pick and showed me to a side room where I could play it. I can still smell the Brazilian set that made that fantastic guitar! It was such a sweet guitar and there's nothing that can compare to an old guitar like that. However, knowing that this guitar had no remote chance of coming home with me, I found it easier to assuage the sting of "passing" on it. 

Mar 2, 2021 - 2:36:38 PM
likes this

badger

USA

490 posts since 8/10/2008

I'd expect my wife to be as understanding about a $65k D-28 if it had gotten under my skin. Owning something that rare and fine makes more sense than piling up dollars in a retirement account that one may not be around to enjoy. It'll maintain its value or appreciate, and you can enjoy it every day.

In answer to the obvious next question, no, she hasn't any sisters. God made one, then broke the mold because she came out too perfect...

Mar 2, 2021 - 3:54:11 PM

3529 posts since 7/27/2008

When I think of the term "reso" I tend to think of lap style squarenecks rather than "Spanish style" guitars either fretted or played with a bottleneck slide - even though they might have the same "engine under the hood." In this case, both are spider bridge resonator guitars. 

Jerry Douglas owns a squareneck Holcomb. I'm sure some of you watched his Flux Fridays sessions in 2020 from the studio above his garage in Nashville he calls The Squirrel's Nest. If you missed them, they are all on YouTube. The one with Tommy Emmanuel was by far my favorite!

My gut tells me that if Jerry didn't get at minimum an exceptional bro deal on this guitar, it was flat out gifted to him by the luthier. I tend to go with the latter.  No doubt Flux gets a lot of free stuff. If you build dobros, then of course you would like people to see Jerry playing one of your guitars. 

 Going back to last Spring,  Jerry did about 26 of these half hour sessions. As I recall he played the Holcomb in one or two other episodes and talked about the builder a bit, who is located in Santa Cruz, about 140 miles south of badger and I here in Sonoma County. I remember this session in particular because he was asking for requests the week prior to do a Christmas songs show. I love his version he did many years ago of Away in a Manger so I requested that one. He played two songs on the Holcomb, beginning @ the 5:20 mark

Edited by - MarkinSonoma on 03/02/2021 16:00:43

Mar 2, 2021 - 5:05:49 PM

110 posts since 9/27/2018

quote:
Originally posted by MarkinSonoma

When I think of the term "reso" I tend to think of lap style squarenecks rather than "Spanish style" guitars either fretted or played with a bottleneck slide - even though they might have the same "engine under the hood." In this case, both are spider bridge resonator guitars. 

Jerry Douglas owns a squareneck Holcomb. I'm sure some of you watched his Flux Fridays sessions in 2020 from the studio above his garage in Nashville he calls The Squirrel's Nest. If you missed them, they are all on YouTube. The one with Tommy Emmanuel was by far my favorite!

My gut tells me that if Jerry didn't get at minimum an exceptional bro deal on this guitar, it was flat out gifted to him by the luthier. I tend to go with the latter.  No doubt Flux gets a lot of free stuff. If you build dobros, then of course you would like people to see Jerry playing one of your guitars. 

 Going back to last Spring,  Jerry did about 26 of these half hour sessions. As I recall he played the Holcomb in one or two other episodes and talked about the builder a bit, who is located in Santa Cruz, about 140 miles south of badger and I here in Sonoma County. I remember this session in particular because he was asking for requests the week prior to do a Christmas songs show. I love his version he did many years ago of Away in a Manger so I requested that one. He played two songs on the Holcomb, beginning @ the 5:20 mark


Thanks for posting that. It seems like it was years ago that Jerry was doing that. Time during sheltering at home and during this pandemic has been very strange. So many days bled into one another with very little to differentiate one from the next.  I had seen this before, but had never put 2 and 2 together to realize he was playing a Holcomb. 

Mar 2, 2021 - 7:07:20 PM

Colin Irvine

Canada

95 posts since 10/17/2017

Hey Mark,

I was watching the flux Friday’s faithfully but then I started having technical issues and couldn’t get onto his Facebook page (and still can’t!)
I was wondering, could you link the one where Jerry plays with Tommy Emmanuel like you did this last one? I would really appreciate it!
I didn’t mean to hijack this topic...

Mar 2, 2021 - 7:54:34 PM

110 posts since 9/27/2018

How dare you hijack my thread! LOL. Here's a link. I hope I can add it like Mark did. Tommy Emmanuel is an amazing player and this was definitely one of my favorite Flux pandemic videos.


Flux Friday with Tommy Emmanuel


 

Mar 3, 2021 - 7:51:26 AM
likes this

Colin Irvine

Canada

95 posts since 10/17/2017

Wow that was a lot of fun! Jerry’s playing seemed really inspired the whole show... I love the ideas he has when filling in spaces. Unbelievably creative!
Those two just bounce off each other.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.140625