Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

99
Resonator Guitar Lovers Online


Round wound vs Flat wound

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!
Jan 20, 2022 - 6:36:39 PM
4 posts since 10/13/2018

I have a Jazz gtr back ground with Flat wound strings.

I built my own Dobro from a Beard Kit. I love it.

I’m concerned that I’m spending a lot of time with pick string noise vs how to play this lovely beast.

I could switch to flat wounds in a heart beat.

I just don’t know which is more important.

Z!

Jan 20, 2022 - 6:58:43 PM

2279 posts since 8/3/2008

Pick harder with definitive attack and the note will drown out the pick noise. Flat wounds may quiet bar noise, not much effect on pick noise.

Pick harder.

h

Jan 20, 2022 - 9:35:15 PM

docslyd

USA

400 posts since 11/27/2014

I would classify flatwounds on a resonator guitar as "less punchy". Assume you're talking about a square neck guitar played lap style with a bar??

Jan 21, 2022 - 4:25:19 PM

tony boadle

Ireland

280 posts since 3/23/2011

I just fitted a set of GHS "Acoustic Slide Guitar RB1600, Bright Bronze Rollerwound" to my Gretsch Boxcar square neck.
I'd already used a set on my previous (Ozark) reso, so I knew they would greatly reduce string slide noise.
There's a very slight change in tone but it's certainly outweighed by the reduction in that annoying bar noise. Just a thought!

Jan 21, 2022 - 4:39:33 PM

4 posts since 10/13/2018

quote:
Originally posted by docslyd

I would classify flatwounds on a resonator guitar as "less punchy". Assume you're talking about a square neck guitar played lap style with a bar??


Yes, square neck with bar.  Thank you, Z!

Jan 21, 2022 - 4:40 PM

4 posts since 10/13/2018

quote:
Originally posted by tony boadle

I just fitted a set of GHS "Acoustic Slide Guitar RB1600, Bright Bronze Rollerwound" to my Gretsch Boxcar square neck.
I'd already used a set on my previous (Ozark) reso, so I knew they would greatly reduce string slide noise.
There's a very slight change in tone but it's certainly outweighed by the reduction in that annoying bar noise. Just a thought!


Jan 21, 2022 - 4:40:57 PM

4 posts since 10/13/2018

It’s the pick noise and finger angle that makes me crazy, not the bar.

Thanks,
Z!

Jan 22, 2022 - 1:57:18 AM

tony boadle

Ireland

280 posts since 3/23/2011

Maybe I can help there! I'm primarily a b***o picker, and learnt many years ago that bending the picks with long-nose pliers does the trick.
Rest your picking hand over the strings in it's normal position, then carefully bend each finger pick striking surface until it hits the string 'head-on'...as flatly as possible. For the thumb pick, check out Zookie picks, already set at different angles. Ten degrees worked for me. Pick noise greatly reduced!

Jan 22, 2022 - 6:53:26 AM

208 posts since 1/7/2019

quote:
Originally posted by hlpdobro

Pick harder with definitive attack and the note will drown out the pick noise. Flat wounds may quiet bar noise, not much effect on pick noise.

Pick harder.

h


As a relatively new player who struggled with pick noise, I want to affirm what Howard said. Pick harder and more confidently. It struck me the other day as I was putting on my picks that I don't try for certain angles, etc., like I used to. I really just get them as tight as I can on my fingers so they don't slip. But I don't really think about pick noise anymore. I'm sure that my right-hand positioning has improved to get a better angle, but I think the larger issue is I am playing harder more consistently.

Hide these ads: join the Players Union!

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.125