Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

50
Resonator Guitar Lovers Online


May 18, 2024 - 12:29:15 AM
likes this
16 posts since 4/6/2024

Hello everyone. I've been playing guitar for forty years and now I've bought my first guitar and I'm looking for some step-by-step lessons for beginners. My big problem is that I don't speak English properly, so I use the translation on YouTube. I found really good banjo lessons there (Eli Gilbert, Jim Pankey) and learned to play in two years so that I can already play most of the songs at a decent level with my friends. Paid lessons are fine, but the problem is my poor knowledge of English.I have found lessons from Shane Akers so far, but it is not easy for a complete beginner to sequence the lessons. If you have any tips I would be grateful. Thanks.

Edited by - Favor on 05/18/2024 05:46:12

May 18, 2024 - 9:08:11 AM

docslyd

USA

521 posts since 11/27/2014

...I see from your previous posting, that you are playing square neck guitar, lap style.

Edited by - docslyd on 05/18/2024 09:09:36

May 18, 2024 - 11:50:23 AM
like this

joeyd

USA

90 posts since 8/4/2008

You would do well to look at Joe Wilson, (dobrojoe.com). I've been taking lessons (via Zoom) with him for over a year and recommend him as one of the very best. His web site is quite comprehensive and the dobro school tab lists the range of topics that he covers, from basic stuff to play along (real world) tracks. He is an extremely talented player and IMO a great instructor.

May 19, 2024 - 7:43:50 AM

16 posts since 4/6/2024

quote:
Originally posted by docslyd

...I see from your previous posting, that you are playing square neck guitar, lap style.

 


Maybe due to my lack of English, I didn't write it correctly. I am looking for square neck guitar lessons (Dobro).

May 19, 2024 - 7:46:53 AM

16 posts since 4/6/2024

quote:
Originally posted by joeyd

You would do well to look at Joe Wilson, (dobrojoe.com). I've been taking lessons (via Zoom) with him for over a year and recommend him as one of the very best. His web site is quite comprehensive and the dobro school tab lists the range of topics that he covers, from basic stuff to play along (real world) tracks. He is an extremely talented player and IMO a great instructor.


Thank you very much for your tip.

May 19, 2024 - 10:07:38 AM
likes this

814 posts since 8/8/2008

If you are on Facebook there is a group called ‘Dobro Made Easy’ that might be some help. There are up close videos of tunes played at a slow or slower speed.

May 20, 2024 - 10:00:38 AM
likes this

16 posts since 4/6/2024

quote:
Originally posted by Dobrojan

If you are on Facebook there is a group called ‘Dobro Made Easy’ that might be some help. There are up close videos of tunes played at a slow or slower speed.


Thanks a lot, I'll look into it.

May 20, 2024 - 5:45:22 PM
like this

4735 posts since 7/27/2008

Favor, you might benefit from Lessons With Troy.

In my opinion he is particularly good for beginners, because he takes his time and explains everything very deliberately. 

For myself, though I have  enjoyed some of his lessons I become a little impatient as  he might "over explain" some things, but if I were new to the instrument I might think it's great. 

On another note,  since English is not your first language, it would be nice to know which country you live in. Is Favor your actual first name, or is it something you chose for your screen name here? 

https://www.lessonswithtroy.com/

May 30, 2024 - 7:36:28 AM
likes this

211 posts since 3/8/2014

And you might like Dobro Joe.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Reso Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.109375